Thursday, June 25, 2009

"But your name is YAEL..."

When I finally landed at Ben Gurion Airport--yes, I cried when I peered out the plane's window into the night to glimps the approaching Tel Aviv skyline-- I made my way to passport check. I'd heard stories of how harsh security questioning might be, and so I was more or less prepared. Behind bulletproof glass, a lovely young Ethiopian soldier, braces still on her teeth, looked at my passport photo--with long hair, not this short Euro do I am sporting now---and looked me over. "Is this your first trip to Israel?" she asked. "Yes" I answered. Incredulous, she shot back: "But your name is YAEL". "I know, I know," I replied, embarrassed. "It's taken me forever but I am here now." I paused as her stare intensified. "Don't start or I might start crying again." I added. Her face broke into this huge grin. "Welcome to Israel, Yaeli." she said. "I'm glad you are finally here."

Finally got to my hotel--the Best Western Regency Suites-- around 12:30 AM. I wanted to make a L'Chaim but didn't have any booze. Asked the night clerk, a really lovely man, if there was anywhere I could get something with a decent alcohol percentage to toast I am finally here. "This is your first trip to Israel????" he exclaimed. "But your name is Yael!!" "I know, I know...where can I buy some scotch???" I asked.

So at 1:00 AM I took a short walk a couple blocks away to the AM/PM market. Immediately I felt safe. This is Israel, not LA. And no Glenlivit to be had on the spare liquor shelves at the AM/PM, just a pint of J&B. Bought that and a incredibly juicy plum and a couple of yogurts for the morning. Back in my room after a hot shower I toasted myself for finally making it here, to Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment