Monday, June 22, 2009

LAX TO ATL TO TLV

I am sitting in the Sky Lounge in Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Tel Aviv. Entering the Lounge, almost everywhere I looked, young women in long denim skirts, holding mini Siddurim (prayer books) were facing the eastern window and davening Minchah, the afternoon prayer. Beautifully backlit against the sunset, lightening speed muttering of the Hebrew under their breath, they held the tradition. A couple of men around in kippah (yarmulkes) too, doing a more high tech version, using their entire prayer book application IPhones and Blackberry. In the background CNN's coverage of Iran lends a surreal overlay to this, the second part of my beginning of my own Neshama Safari.

1 comment:

  1. Can you tell me the logic behind the denim. Never really understood the denim. You are flying now.

    ReplyDelete