Saturday, June 27, 2009

Strolling Tel Aviv

The smartest things I did before leaving LA were to buy a pair of super light weight Vasquez hiking boots to support my ankle, along with some great wool blend special socks, and get a prescription for industrial strength Ibuprofen. I walked everywhere, and loved taking photos with my Leicas--it's film for me on this pilgrimage. I toured the Flea Market and shoppes in the old City of Yafo (Jaffa) and the stalls in the Carmel Market. The beachfront is just gorgeous. I chilled out with a Campari and soda to watch the sunset at the Tel Aviv Port at this outdoor bar called "Speedo", with, yeah, you guessed it, posters of the trunks everywhere and the logo on everything.

Tel Aviv is small enough to walk a lot of the landmarks. Everywhere there are cafes and amazing fresh fruit vendors that make the most incredible fruit drinks. I'm talking a blend of complete fresh papaya, peach, banana and mangoes. Jamba Juice would never survive here. And the coffee. Seriously. As in the Goddess of Espresso saved her best grind for the Middle East. Even the instant coffee is good. No wonder Starbucks went broke here.

No comments:

Post a Comment